The Story Behind Count On It
Most products have to be consumed within a certain amount of time once they have been opened, and as a mother of two young children I found it very difficult to remember when something was first opened, as there was so much going on in the home.
I was always throwing away half-used jars and leftovers because I was never sure how long they had been in my fridge and rather than risk giving it to my young sons, I discarded it and had the inconvenience and cost of repurchasing.
I was concerned at how much food (and money) myself and many other families like me were discarding, simply because we were unsure of how long our food had been opened or stored, so I came up with the idea of Count On It®, the easy to use, food freshness monitor.
My work to come up with count on it was helped by the process of converting my VHS to digital. Doing this gave me the chance to review old cooking and storage methods to help me develop and prepare my idea.
To be most effective it was important that the label had to be handy, effortless to use and versatile and that is how the design of Count On It® was developed.
- The labels are ‘scratch-off’ so there is no need to search for that elusive pen.
- The box is fridge-friendly, so it is always at hand in the fridge, where it is needed and not stuck in a drawer across the kitchen or forgotten on top of the microwave.
- The labels ‘pop out’ of the affordable buy box with the handy dispenser, ensuring labels can easily be dispensed and applied without having to grapple with troublesome backing paper.
- The dates underneath the scratch-off coating have white numbers on a bright magenta background to ensure they can easily be seen at a glance in a fridge or freezer.
- The distinctive magenta and black design of the dispenser box makes sure it can easily be found on the fridge and shop shelf.
Count On It® is the guardian angel of the fridge, watching over the food being stored and keeping an eye on it for you, helping you make sure what you eat is still fresh and safe.
Count On It® … saves you time, effort, money and waste.
WRAP (Waste & Resources Action Programme) the Government Agency which encourages businesses and consumers to be more efficient in their use of materials and recycle more things more often, currently include boxes of Count On It® labels in their ‘Love Food, Hate Waste’ goodie bags and Waste Aware Scotland list Count On It® in their ‘Waste Aware Products’ and ‘Reduce’ categories. You can read more about it in the press.
Count On It!
Count On It products have been commended by mothers with young children as oftentimes they are so busy, they forget when things have been opened. Also, older people or people with disabilities have found Count On It to be extremely helpful. The bright colours make it easy to find in the fridge, and the scratch off function is simple with no need for other tools.
As well as taking feedback from all the busy mums out there, we have also been collaborating with a company that supplies handy gadgets for those with disabilities. We have ensured that our dispense system is easily operated by someone who may struggle to grip with their hands.
We would like to take this opportunity to thank our sponsors who helped get this project off the ground. In no particular order, we would like to thank Clark’s Bakery and Edison Design Studios, for their continuing support and loyalty. We couldn’t have done it without you! We would also like to extend our thanks to family lawyers in Glasgow Walker Laird for their continued support and guidance.